Hot Topics / Priority Issues
THURSDAY, MAR 2, 2023
We Are Hiring: Director of Public Policy & Special Projects
Director of Public Policy and Special Projects
The New York State Conference of Local Mental Hygiene Directors, Inc. (CLMHD) is seeking a Director of Public Policy and Special Projects. The Conference is a 501(c)(6) statewide association representing the Directors of Community Services (DCSs)/County Mental Health Commissioners of each county and the City of New York. The DCSs/Mental Health Commissioners are responsible for oversight, management and planning for the mental hygiene system in their counties for adults and children with mental illness, substance use disorder and intellectual/developmental disabilities. The Conference works collaboratively with state government agencies, the state Legislature and other stakeholders to help shape the design and communicate the impact of behavioral healthcare transformation initiatives on those served by the local mental hygiene system.
The successful candidate will deliver project management, strategic planning, and implementation support for key organizational initiatives as assigned by the CLMHD Executive Director. This position is located in Albany, NY.
The responsibilities of this position are diverse and qualified candidates must have knowledge and experience with NYS behavioral health policy as it relates to the three mental hygiene disabilities and local service delivery, specifically relating to mental health, substance use disorder and intellectual/developmental disabilities. Strong consideration will be given to candidates with expertise in these systems of care for children and youth.
- Superior critical thinking and analytic skills, including the capacity to identify and appropriately assess public policy developments and the potential impact to those served by the local behavioral health system;
- Ability to initiate, develop and implement ideas and projects working in groups and in a collaborative manner with Conference leadership, members and outside stakeholder groups;
- Working knowledge of state government and the public behavioral health system for adults and children;
- In-depth knowledge of the public children’s and adolescent services delivery system is a plus;
- Experience with budgeting and spending plans for State Aid and federal grants;
- Exceptional research, writing, and organizational skills, and the ability to convey complex concepts in a clear, concise and logical manner;
- General understanding of data analytics, measures and outcomes;
- Uphold personal and professional ethics and values, considering the values of the organization and respecting the culture, beliefs and abilities of individuals we serve;
- Ability to work independently with superior productivity; and
- Respond appropriately to improve outcomes, take ownership and accountability for own performance, and seek out and/or accept additional responsibilities in the context of the position.
Essential responsibilities and duties:
- Provide staff support to the Children and Families, Mental Hygiene Planning Committee and its Data Workgroup, and the Developmental Disabilities Committees through collaboration with Committee Chairs to inform the policy agenda and goals for the committees based on priorities identified by the membership;
- Develop and manage project work assignments;
- Ensure project goals and deliverables are met while adhering to approved budgets;
- Prepare and presents proposals, status reports, and other information to Conference leadership, members, and other identified stakeholders;
- Manage and effectively deliver required outcomes for state funded priorities and ensure timelines are completed within agreed timeframes;
- Oversee aspects of contracts with consultants, including continuous project development, budgeting and spending plan, and ensure deliverables are completed on time and with high quality;
- Collaborate with representatives from state associations that have mutual public policy priorities;
- Manage committee calls, prepare agendas, maintain minutes and meeting materials, document outcomes and provide follow up on action items in a timely manner;
- Work closely with the State mental hygiene agencies, including the Office of Mental Health (OMH), the Office of Addition Services and Supports (OASAS), the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD), around Mental Hygiene Planning and Children’s system of care initiatives; and
- Manage operability of CLMHD Behavioral Health Portal and deliver data-related technical assistance to portal users.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of professional experience in roles which required independently managing a sizeable portfolio of ongoing projects. Master’s degree or state licensure in related field preferred, but not required;
- Track record of thinking conceptually and mastering complex subject matter quickly
- Ability to create positive environment that is able to respond to constant change
- Ability to work well with supervisors, co-workers, Board members and external stakeholders
This is a Director level position with a competitive salary and generous benefit package.
Please send resumes and letters of interest to email@example.com. NO PHONE INQUIRIES PLEASE.
More information about CLMHD and the activities of the Children and Families, Mental Hygiene Planning and Developmental Disabilities Committees can be found by visiting www.clmhd.org.